- Make a decision - when my savings account reverts to a rubbish interest rate at the end of next month - I'm moving it. Rubbish rate? Then vote with your feet and WALK! Yes, it's effort I know - but if we all walk when we're offered derisory interest rates then perhaps it may just make a difference. At least we will have tried (and made a bit more money). Remember - the banks and building societies are relying on you being lazy and leaving your money to gather dust - and not much else! It saves them millions to pay for their own big, fat, yearly bonuses!
- Buy only when on offer. My washing up liquid is getting low - before it ran out I looked for an offer and found it - same price, same brand, different colour and perfume BUT, 50% extra in the bottle. Cereal bars have gone up in the recent VAT rise, but the ones I buy have gone up much more - so today instead of buying the fruity, virtuous, oaty, expensive ones (£2.02 a pack of 6) I bought the Cadbury's chocolatey, gooey, oaty ones (on offer at £1 a pack of 6). I won't always do this- but where possible I'm going to try!
- Make things last. While trying to get at the last centimetre of liquid soap in the dispenser, I resorted to adding some water - you know what? It didn't make any difference- still foamy, still cleans, still smells nice! I've read this tip before, but didn't really believe it could work - trust me - it does. I came straight downstairs and topped up the soap in the kitchen by one third with water. No difference.
- Use what I've got. I finished my shower gel and body lotion recently and couldn't believe that no-one (this year) bought me any for Christmas! So I went through my cupboards and drawers and dug out all those tiny tubes of shower gel, body lotion etc that come in fancy containers at Christmas - I collected them all together and before I buy myself a new shower gel or body lotion - I'm going to use them all up. Perhaps they may be a bit ancient - but I've not noticed any problems yet!
- Get some freebies. As before - gather together all those small sachets of shampoo, eye cream, perfume, moisturiser and conditioner that come glued to magazine pages or through Internet freebie sites and start using them up. You are actually making yourself money when you do this - as my Grandmother used to say, "Stock's as good as money!"
- Cut down on some electricity or gas. For 2 days this week, when it didn't rain, I hung out 4 loads of washing to dry and did not use the power hungry tumble dryer. I did not put the central heating on when I was at home in the daytime - I kept busy, then later, when I was cold, I put on an extra sweater. It works.
And you'll be richer.